Mineral Water vs. Purified Water
Search the beverage aisle of any grocery store and you’ll find bottle after bottle of mineral water — each claiming to contain the ideal mineral content to promote wellness. It’s true that minerals found in water sourced from natural springs are crucial to body and brain function, but by bottling the water in plastic, these brands are undoing any potential health benefits. Mineral water may help lower blood pressure, regulate blood circulation, and strengthen bones, but bottled water is filled with microplastics and is devastating for the environment.
Tap water often contains minerals, but it is just as likely to contain contaminants, and unfortunately, purifying water often strips it of those beneficial minerals. Traditional water filters can’t tell the difference between helpful minerals and harmful particles, which leaves your water bland and unbalanced. There have also been studies that suggest drinking demineralized water — like the kind that has been purified by reverse osmosis — can come with health risks.
Drinking unfiltered tap water can be dangerous for your health, but overly purified water isn’t good either…and relying on bottled mineral waters is neither cost effective nor environmentally sustainable. So what kind of water should you drink?
Problem: How can you get nutritious, safe water without wasting money or plastic?
Solution: By remineralizing your purified water.
To remineralize your water, Wisewell uses Maifan stones, remarkable rocks with innate filtration properties and plenty of beneficial minerals. Read on to learn about the benefits of remineralization — and to find out why Wisewell uses a natural Maifan Stone mineral filter to make sure your water is both tasty and healthy.
The Health Benefits of Minerals
Two of the most important minerals found in water are calcium and magnesium. Calcium is the most common mineral in the human body. It is necessary for almost every critical bodily function. Calcium is known as the bone-building mineral, but it also plays a role in brain-body communication, muscle movement, wound healing, and cardiovascular function. When your body doesn’t get enough calcium from your diet for these processes, it leaches calcium from your bones, weakening them significantly.
Magnesium assists in maintaining healthy bones and regulating the nervous system. It is involved in hundreds of biochemical reactions in your body — like energy creation, protein formation, and muscle movements. Low magnesium levels are also strongly linked to health problems, including depression.
These minerals are crucial for our brains and bodies — but studies have shown that around half of U.S. adults don’t get enough magnesium and half don’t get enough calcium in their diet. Luckily, we can get up to 20% of our daily recommended requirements for calcium and magnesium — as well as other beneficial minerals like potassium, sodium, and phosphorus — from drinking tap water. That is, unless your water filter is blocking them from ever reaching your glass.
Reversing Reverse Osmosis
It’s a Catch-22: The filters that produce clean, contaminant-free water also remove healthy minerals in the process. Reverse osmosis filtration is vital to water purification because it removes PFAS — dangerous, synthetic “forever chemicals” that leak into our water supply from landfills and factories. By using pressure to push water through a semipermeable membrane, reverse osmosis separates pure, uncontaminated water from its contaminants, which can’t fit through the membrane’s tiny pores.
The problem is that good minerals also can’t fit through the filter’s membrane. If you want healthy minerals in your clean water, you’re going to have to add them back in.
Maifan Stone and Remineralization
Enter the Maifan stone — a natural substance that humans have used for centuries for its mineral richness and health benefits, such as its ability to reduce inflammation. When used as a filter, Maifan stone gently releases healthy minerals like calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, zinc, and iron into your water.
And Maifan stones don’t just add healthy minerals into your water — they also help remove mercury, lead, cadmium, and other heavy metals by attracting these dangerous molecules to their rocky surface and out of your water through a process called adsorption. Maifan stones are very porous and have the capacity to activate ions in water, meaning they can bring overly acidic water to a near-neutral pH. While this surprisingly useful rock is relatively unknown in the western world, it is well-known in the east: for thousands of years, Maifan stone has been called “medicine stone” due to its powerful wellness properties.
What is Maifan Stone?
Maifan stone, also called “maifanite,” is a natural ore found in East Asia that is mainly composed of SiO2, Al2O3, CaO, and MgO. It is an especially popular material to use in cookware, shower heads, and soil mixes thanks to its mineral richness. Unlike certain non-stick coatings, Maifan stone does not release dangerous chemicals when overheated, making it a perfect material for pots and pans. It is usually sourced from uncontaminated sources in Inner Mongolia and Shangdong.
While the stone has been widely used in China for generations, it has only recently become of interest to scientists interested in pollutant removal. More is being learned about the benefits of Maifan stone each day, but there have already been promising studies regarding soil pollutant removal and wastewater treatment. It is completely nontoxic and is one of the most natural ways to add trace minerals to your water.
How Does It Taste?
The best part about drinking mineralized water? It tastes good! Because your body needs minerals, your taste buds appreciate mineralized water more than demineralized water — by drinking water with minerals, you are ensuring that your body is getting optimal hydration. By using a Maifan stone to infuse purified tap water, you can create a flavor comparable to that of Europe’s leading mineral water brands.
The Wisewell Revolution
Once your Wisewell has used carbon filtration and reverse osmosis to clean your water, the machine’s Maifan stone filter infuses your water with the nutrients you need to feel your best. Wisewell water isn’t just pure — it’s delicious, refreshing, and healthy.
Do you want to join the revolution? Click here to purchase your Wisewell and to learn more about how it can save you money, give you peace of mind, and cut down on thousands of single-use plastic water bottles. It’s time to trust your water.
- What are the Health Benefits of Mineral Water? — Is mineral water more healthful? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324910
- Benefits and Sources of Calcium — Calcium is a nutrient that all living organisms need, including humans. It is the most abundant mineral in the body, and it is vital for bone health. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/248958#_noHeaderPrefixedContent
- Why Do Our Bones Need Calcium? — From the day you’re born, your bones are being built with calcium to make them stronger. https://americanbonehealth.org/best-bones-forever/why-do-our-bones-need-calcium/#:~:text=When%20your%20body%20makes%20new,make%20bones%20strong%20and%20flexible.
- How to Remineralize Reverse Osmosis Water — Want to purify your water using RO but worried about the healthy minerals being removed https://waterfilterguru.com/how-to-remineralize-reverse-osmosis-water/
- 12 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Magnesium — Magnesium is an important mineral for your body and brain https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/magnesium-benefits#TOC_TITLE_HDR_4
- Magnesium in Prevention and Therapy — Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26404370/
- Calcium Intake of the U.S. Population https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/80400530/pdf/DBrief/13_calcium_intake_0910.pdf
- Study of the preparation of Maifan stone and SRB immobilized particles and the effect on treatment of acid mine drainage https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2022/ra/d1ra08709f
- Study of Humic Acid Adsorption Character on Natural Maifan Stone: Characterization, Kinetics, Adsorption Isotherm, and Thermodynamics https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7144149/
- Health Risks From Drinking Demineralized Water https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/9790261/health-risks-from-drinking-demineralised-water-world-health-
- The Unintended Consequences of the Reverse Osmosis Revolution https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.9b01755